This street, built about 1815, as originally named North Steyne Street, and was renamed after William, Duke of Clarence, later William IV.
Although always a poor street it contained some fine doorways and bow windows.
Although this photograph was taken in 1930, these doorways are still existing in 1957. The houses shown are 16 and 17, William Street and they provide us with good examples of early 19c. doorways. They were not to be found on any other houses in this street though the design over the door was used in houses of comparable age in Carlton Street, an example of which appears on another page.

Image Reference: JG_24_050.tif
Date: 1930
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 120x165
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Duncan McNeill
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society