Old Houses in Jubilee Street, photographed in January 1957. Until quite recently the houses on either side of the main building were still inhabited. They were known as 29 and 30, Jubilee Street, on the left and 33 & 34 on the right. At the beginning of the 19th century a Mr Scrase farmed this land and loaned his field for a dinner to the poor of the town in 1809, at the time of George III's Jubilee. The field became known as Jubilee Field and later, when a road was driven through it, this also took the name Jubilee. Gradually buildings replaced the farm, but there were livery stables, corn and forage stores here for many years and until just a few years ago, a court a few yards to the south was named Old Farm Place. These buildings were fenced off in 1958 and demolished in October 1959.

Image Reference: JG_25_103.tif
Date: 1957
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 199x153
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Gavin Henderson in memory of his father, Magnus Reginald 'Jock' Henderson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society