There was little left of this busy street, when these photographs were taken during 1962 and 1963. As recently as 1934 it consisted of 50 small dwellings, mostly built between 1800 and 1820. Clearance of some buildings on the east side started in 1935 and by 1947 only two remained. On the west side demolition was slower and a few houses are still there. When these go it is the intention to straighten the street and get rid of the slight bend. The name derives from Springs Walks, the original name of Church Street.

Image Reference: JG_25_134.tif
Date: 1962-3
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 118x92
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Gavin Henderson in memory of his father, Magnus Reginald 'Jock' Henderson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society