Two photographs of the date, 29 September 1968, as overleaf, when the future of this building was in doubt. They show the classic frontage of the church, unchanged since its erection as Hanover Chapel in 1825. The facing burial ground was until the 1950s covered with memorial and headstones above countless graves which were then removed to the sides and the area grassed over to make a public open space. Events moved very slowly, the building deteriorated, and it was not until 1985/1986 that the work of reconstruction began. It is to be hoped that the best feature of the old building will be preserved.

Image Reference: JG_25_137.tif
Date: 1968
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 152x109
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Gavin Henderson in memory of his father, Magnus Reginald 'Jock' Henderson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society