These are probably the earliest photographs of Lewes Road in existence. This was taken in 1869 a few weeks before the Kemp Town Railway was opened. What few buildings were then in Lewes Road were almost wholly private houses, with an occasional shop. The small houses seen through the arch to the right are those in Melbourne Street, then known as California Cottages. In the distance through the central arch can be seen the Tower of the Lodge of the Extra Mural cemetery and the Barracks Tollgate, removed about 1875.

Image Reference: JG_28_032.tif
Date: 1869
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 201x98
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society