The Barracks Tollgate dated from the early days of the 19th century, and stood in the Lewes Road opposite the present 32 Coombe Terrace. Beyond it stretched the long, flint Barracks wall with opposite, a few cottages and the Ship Inn. In 1873 part of the parish of Preston was incorporated with Brighton and the borough boundary was moved several hundred yards to the north. The toll gate then became unnecessary and it was removed about 1874/1875.
Beyond the gate can be seen two chicken. It must be many years since hens walked across Lewes Road.

Image Reference: JG_28_087.tif
Date: 1867
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 127x79
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society