The viaduct was constructed in 1844/1845 and two of the arches were bricked up for future support early in the present century. Change first came to rural Lewes Road with the building of the South Moulsecombe Housing Estate in 1921. North Moulsecombe beyond the viaduct was built in 1927 and Moulsecombe School in 1929. All this necessitated the removal of the long line of trees shown in earlier photographs and the widening of the roadway. Later the east Moulsecombe Estate was laid out and finally blocks of flats were constructed on the site of Bates Nursery. In this photograph (taken in July 1954) can still be seen Railway Cottages almost hidden behind the trees and the old lane leading to Hodshrove.

Image Reference: JG_28_177.tif
Date: 1954
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 202x154
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society