Not so very long ago this was just a country lane some distance away from Brighton. It served the dual purpose of linking the Ditchling Road and Lewes Road and leading to Coldean Farm that was situated midway between these two roads. In 1936 private builders began the development of Park Road and West Drive, and in 1927 the Hikers’ Rest was erected. Only a few houses were built before the 1939-1945 war, however, and the area did not really develop until 1947 when Brighton Corporation commenced the building of the Parkside housing estate. The purpose of these photographs is to show Coldean Lane as it was. At this period the area lay outside the municipal boundaries and it was not until 1951 that it was absorbed into the Brighton borough. With the completion of the estate and school, increasing traffic and the use of buses made widening of the narrow country lane a necessity and in 1954 it was decided to widen Coldean Lane throughout. This view is of Old Boat Corner, at the Ditchling Road end of the lane.

Image Reference: JG_28_204.tif
Date: 1954
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 150x107
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society