The old cottage, seen here, was originally a barn, built about 1740. The brick front and Georgian doorway were later additions, and on the plaque above the door was the date 1784, and initials T.A.P. These stood for Thomas Pelham and his wife Anne, who lived in Stanmer House. Their favourite walk was from the house, via a path leading past the monument to Frederick Frankland (Anne’s father), over Farm Hill and down to this cottage, which was the home of their pet dogs and other animals, hence the name – menagerie. The half-timbered house adjoining, was added about 1830. The photographs were taken in 1950, and the houses demolished in December 1955.

Image Reference: JG_28_213.tif
Date: 1950s
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 158x113
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society