This is one of Brighton’s oldest inns. It is believed that originally it had been a farm-house, at the northern limit of Brighton, but it was known as “The King and Queen” as early as 1719. At this period Marlborough Place was known as North Row. For a long time the Brighton Corn Market was held here, until removed about 1870 to the Corn Exchange. The façade shown here, is not the original one. When the hotel was rebuilt in 1931 some of the old houses seen on the right of the photograph were removed and the vacant space added to the hotel premises. This photograph was reproduced by kind permission of Edlins Limited.

Image Reference: JG_30_049.tif
Date: 1929
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 206x150
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society