A great contrast is shown in these photographs, (this and previous) with about seventy years between them.
After these demolitions the site stood empty for a couple of years. In late 1937 the building of the ill-fated Telephone House was started, and it was opened in 1938. After only forty years however defects were found. Repairs were impracticable so this quite recent office had to be removed and it is now (1984) being rebuilt. Ironically the houses that stood here lasted from 1800 to 1935. Further comment is superfluous!

Image Reference: JG_30_056.tif
Date: 1937
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 162x121
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society