This two-horse bus was then the only public transport link between Brighton and Rottingdean. It plied twice daily between the White Horse Hotel and Brighton Station and did the journey in an hour. When the old road was closed in 1897 three and four horses were necessary to pull the bus up the hill and the service started from the Royal Oak.

Image Reference: JG_32_082.tif
Date: 1891
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 201x122
Place: Rottingdean
Additional Information: The driver, ticket collector and all the men involved with the bus, down to a dog, are posed for the photograph.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Edward Goring, Rottindean Parish Council and Rottingdean Preservation Society.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society