At the period when these photographs were taken Hangleton was just a country hamlet about 1 mile from the nearest built-up area. Only the first 6 houses on the west side of Hangleton Road had been built, whilst on the opposite corner was a rubbish tip, much frequented by rats. A narrow lane, flanked by hedges, led to Hangleton Farm and the church. The Isolation Hospital on the hill was erected in 1881, when it was never supposed that houses would reach this area. Building on the Knoll estate, by the Hove Corporation, commenced in 1927, Bellingham Crescent being named after the family which at one time owned Hangleton Manor. The present Hangleton Road replaced the narrow lane in 1932 and within a year or two houses had extended to the top of Stapley Road.

Image Reference: JG_37_018.tif
Date: 1912
Image Details: Post Card
Size of Original: 140x97
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Ian Farrell, Chairman, Hangleton Harbinger
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society