View of Poplar Place, the Model House Tavern and Clarence Yard in 1923. The North Street end of Meeting House Lane was at one time known as Poplar Place, because of six tall poplar trees that were cut down in 1872. One tree stood exactly opposite the Tavern. Although the houses were numbered in Meeting House lane as far back as the 1850’s, the name Poplar Place, persisted for many years to come. The tavern was so named after the Model Dwellings, artisans flats built in the 1850’s between the back of the Clarence Hotel and Ship Street Court and later absorbed into the Post Office buildings.

Image Reference: JG_09_019.tif
Date: 1923
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 95x148
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society