A present-day copy of a remarkable photograph, taken in 1868 or 1869. It shows the demolition of very old buildings on the south side of Pool Valley for the purpose of clearing a large area of ground in readiness for the building of Brill’s Baths (1869-1929) affectionately remembered by many old Brightonians. The tall building at the left was the rear of Geere’s White Horse Hotel, a fine photograph of which can be seen on a nearby page. Just to the left of the top-hatted gentlemen and through the derelict pillars can be seen, at No.4 Pool Valley, the oyster rooms of Charles Cheesman, shell fishmonger.

Image Reference: JG_09_071.tif
Date: 1868-9
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 201x141
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: Smith's photographic studio

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society