Entrance to the Baths. Note that Pool Valley was free from traffic as at this period it was not used as the terminus for Southdown buses. On this site, originally, stood two public houses, “The White Horse” a well-known posting house in the 18th century, and “The Rising Sun”. The latter, owing to its close proximity to the original Fish Market that was held on the beach below it, enjoyed the reputation of selling more beer than any other public house in the town. It was also the legendary home of “Olde Strike-a-Lighte” a 17th century Brighton Ghost. When the buildings were demolished in 1869, a part of the original Battery wall, some 4 feet thick, was uncovered. For sixty years, Brill’s Baths stood here and many will remember the circular bath of sea water and the “cold plunge” In 1929 the site was again cleared and the Savoy Cinema was erected. This was opened in August 1930. This photograph and following were taken in January 1929, shortly before the baths were demolished to make room for the Savoy Cinema.

Image Reference: JG_09_080.tif
Date: 1929
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 105x160
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society