The building on the island site at the sea side end of the street, photographed on the same day as previous photograph in 1966. This was erected in 1870 on the site of small baths known as Brill’s Bunion (seen in old photographs in the sea front section). Originally it was a hotel called Clarendon Hotel but before long the ground floor was used for business purposes and the remainder as flats. As it approached its centenary there was talk of replacing it with a new tall block of flats (hence the photograph) but instead it was internally reconstructed and the new flats individually sold. One has the feeling though that it may not be very long before it is replaced by a modern building.

Image Reference: JG_09_086.tif
Date: 1966
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 153x112
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society