This commanding house was built in 1861 when this part of Western Road was being developed. Within a few years the London & County (now Westminster) Bank who remained there until 1893 were occupying the ground floor. The remainder of the house was used as a boarding house. The first floor of the adjoining building was an auction room with two small shops on the ground floor. Bank House was then No. 65, now it is 112, which shows the development of Western Road in the past 100 years. This photograph dates from between the years 1871 & 1874.

Image Reference: JG_11_009.tif
Date: c.1871-74
Image Details: Original sepia toned monochrome print
Size of Original: 291x232
Place: Hove
Additional Information: White and Trumper, the Brighton & Hove Auction Mart

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society