A rare photograph showing one of the few remaining private houses, No 47, to be precise. When George Street was built during the 1850s there were few shops and most were built as small dwellings. By 1892, however, only about 20 houses remained and one by one they were converted to shops. The last private house was No. 19 and this changed to a shop in 1923.
This photograph shows 47 as a private house, in 1895. Later it became a butcher’s shop. The plate FP was still on the wall in the same position in 1962.
Image Reference: JG_13_128.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 112x150
Additional Information: Mother and children in doorway.
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored in memory of Phyl and Eddie Edwards
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society