The other Empire was not far away, in Haddington Street. This was Hove’s first cinema, opened on 10 December 1910 by Mr H E Scriven, a young man then still in his teens, who had been the first operator at the Arcadia Cinema, Lewes Road, in the preceding year. This was a two-storey building, which fronted Blatchington Road, and it was adapted to a cinema with a balcony by the simple process of cutting away part of the floor of the top storey.

Image Reference: JG_14_147.tif
Date: 1929
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 134x101
Place: Hove
Additional Information: Films"The Cavalier and "The Power of Silence" advertised. Both made in 1928.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society and in memory of Elaine Violet Baird, Reference Librarian, Brighton, by her colleagues.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society