The old Drive Bridge was built in 1876/1877, at the time when the Stanford Estate was being developed. It was not designed to carry any heavy traffic and there was a ban on any vehicle exceeding 3 tons in weight. Long before the 1939-1945 war, negotiations had been started for the reconstruction of the bridge, but it was not until 1952 that Ministerial approval was granted. Work commenced in the autumn on 1953. The eastern face of the old bridge. In the distance can be seen Hove Station and the footbridge.

Image Reference: JG_17_015.tif
Date: 1950s
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 150x103
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society