Preston Tollgate was erected in 1810. It stood about 20 yards south of the present South Road and was removed in November 1854. On the left beyond the gate can be seen the entrance to the Tea Gardens. The tree in the front garden was removed only a few years ago, whilst the low retaining wall is there to this day. On the right is the stream that followed the line of the road from Patcham to the sea, rising from Patcham well and occasionally flooding the road.

Image Reference: JG_18_141.tif
Date: 1850s
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 233x154
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston Village Millenium Project and The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society