WESTERN ROAD: BRIGHTON - HOVE BOUNDARY
These two photographs taken in 1896 show Western Road at the boundary between Brighton and Hove.
In those days, No. 115 was occupied as the Police Fire Station for the western district of Brighton. In the event of a fire the escape apparatus was limbered up behind the nearest horse cab, while the hose reels were dragged by hand to the fire!! On the Hove side, several private houses are in course of being converted to shops, but the corner house in York Road (now Langham Hotel) is, as yet, unaltered. Note the standpipe for filling the water carts.
The actual boundary line is shown by the dotted lines.
Image Reference: JG_19_006.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 124x80
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society