THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE WEST PIER - 1865
Kings Road during the early days of the Pier. Work on the pier commenced in 1863, and the first pile was driven in 1864. The flagpole marks the site of the West Battery, removed in 1858, after which the roadway was widened. Note the old wooden railings.
In its original form, the pier was 1115 feet long, and 55 feet in width, though at the pier head it widened out to 120 feet. At the pier head was a bandstand, one or two kiosks, but little else. It was opened to the public on October 6th, 1866.
The photograph was probably taken from a house a little to the East of Russell Street. This reproduction from the original is by kind permission of Mr. J.W.Hopkins, The Prince Arthur, Dean Street, Brighton.
Image Reference: JG_02_001.tif
Image Details: copy
Size of Original: 210x135
Additional Information: Another similar view - JG_02_006
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society