Way back in 1923, high up on the Downs beyond Surrenden Road, this house was built for the late Mr. Jesse Hobden, who was then farming at Varndean. The area around the house was known as Upper Varndean Farm to distinguish it from the main Varndean Farm, down by Loder Road. just how remote this house was at that time can be judged by the photograph on the previous page. It was approached from the south by a track leading from Surrenden Road and from Patcham by a path on the line of the present Braybon Avenue. This photograph shows the entrance to the farm from Beechwood Avenue. Even before the 1939-1945 War, houses had surrounded the farm, Beechwood Avenue taking its name from the wood in the rear of the house. Finally, in 1957 most of the land was sold for building. These photographs were taken on 2 March 1958, and already a year later many bungalows have been built here.

Image Reference: JG_20_214.tif
Date: 1958
Image Details: Original monochrome image
Size of Original: 152x111
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society