Taken early on a summer’s morning, the object of the photograph was almost certainly the recently rebuilt Countess of Huntingdon’s Chapel. The old building dating from 1774 had been removed in 1870, and the rebuilt Chapel was opened in March 1871. What a sorry contrast it presents externally in 1953!
North Street, below the Chapel, was then extremely narrow, while the Colonnade extended from the Theatre Royal, round the corner into North Street so far as Bond Street.

Image Reference: JG_21_133.tif
Date: 1871
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 213x266
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Brighton Society and others.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society