This view across the valley from the cricket ground in 1933. The vast tract of land known as the East Brighton estate was acquired by the Brighton Corporation, about 1912, though it was not until 1924 that part of it was laid out as East Brighton Park. On the left can be seen Whitehawk Crescent and Hervey Road, built some three years earlier, while beyond, the path running diagonally towards the Race hill is the present Manor Hill. Further right is Whitehawk Road leading to the school, opened by Sir Herbert Carden on 12 May 1933, and in front of the school, Whitehawk Avenue. In the foreground, running past the Pavilion, is the road leading to the Camping Site, in Sheepcote Valley.

Image Reference: JG_23_096.tif
Date: 1933
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 202x153
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: Racecourse buildings

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society