A good view of part of this large Council estate, 13 December 1958. It was built in stages, starting in 1929 with houses in Whitehawk Crescent and Hervey Road, on land obtained from the Marquess of Bristol. Other sections followed in 1930, 1931 and 1932. In 1974, the year of writing, it seems likely that before long most of these houses will be removed. A scheme is afoot to make better use of the large gardens by rebuilding much of the estate as small blocks of flats, thus housing more people to the acre than under the present layout.

Image Reference: JG_23_095.tif
Date: 1958
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 241x194
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society