George Duddell died in the late 1880s and from his Trustees the Brighton Race Stand Trustees purchased the park, the lodges, the tower, the German Spa and other properties but not the main house, then known as Duddell's Villa. The park was presented to the Corporation in July, 1890, and opened to the public two years later. At one time it was proposed to use the villa grounds for a zoological Gardens but nothing came of this and in 1909 it was acquired for use as a Roman Catholic school. From then until 1966 it was known as the Xaverian College, but in that year the De La Salle brothers moved their school to the former Convent of the Sacred Heart in the Upper Drive, Hove.

Image Reference: JG_24_184.tif
Date: Unknown
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 150x110
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Duncan McNeill
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society