When the tramway system operated by Brighton Corporation was extended along Dyke Road, and opened on 27 July 1904, its terminus was just short of Tivoli Crescent, about opposite the house seen at the extreme right. Six years later, in 1910, shelters were provided at various points of the system, one of which is shown in this photograph. It served a useful purpose for many years, for although trams on this route were withdrawn on 26 April 1939, the shelter remained long after buses were introduced. Finally, the rather obstructive building was removed and re-erected some distance down Dyke Road. A close-up view of the tram shelter. Date of photographs 10 November 1977. Removed soon afterwards.

Image Reference: JG_26_062.tif
Date: 1977
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 153x97
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society