WISTONS SCHOOL – 138 DYKE ROAD
In the year 1888 a large house called St Margarets was built at the corner of Dyke Road and the Old Shoreham Road in what was then the Parish of Preston, for Mr Edward Beves. At that period the site was almost in open country there being just an occasional detached house higher up the very narrow road leading to the Dyke Road and Henfield. The house remained with the Beves family until the time of the 1914-18 War. After standing empty for a year or two in 1921 it was sold and reopened as Wistons School, mainly for girls.
For nearly fifty years the School continued here, but in 1969 outline permission was given for 21 flats to be built to replace the house now 80 years old. There has been a later proposal to build terrace houses instead. These photographs were taken on 19 June 1966 and at the time of writing, January 1970; the house is still standing though empty. This view shows the house and the side entrance, in Dyke Road.
Image Reference: JG_26_108.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 159x120
Additional Information: Now B.P.A.S.
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society