In the year 1846 a large house was built here with an extensive garden and named, Belvoir Lodge. In 1850 this name was changed to Hove Place and later to Hove Place House. At this time, and, in fact, until 1928, this plot of land was in Hove, hence the name. During the 1890s, large extensions were made to the original house and the premises became a girl’s private school, known as Westcombe. After the 1939 –1945 War, the property was requisitioned by Brighton Corporation and let out as flats to families on the housing list. Finally in 1956 it was sold for the building of modern flats. This view is from Buxton Road, showing the rear aspect. These photographs were taken on 1 June 1957 and the building was demolished later that year.

Image Reference: JG_26_115.tif
Date: 1957
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 151x110
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society