This photograph, from St Michaels Place, shows the building of the new church about to commence. After some 30 years the enlargement of the original church became necessary, but Mr Bodley did not wish to undertake the work. Mr William Burges designed the new church, which was begun in 1893 and opened in 1895. It took the form of a new nave, north aisle and chancel, to which the original building serves as south aisle and chapel. The addition of the “new church” involved the destruction of Mr Bodley’s north aisle.

Image Reference: JG_26_194.tif
Date: 1866
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 209x150
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Anne Moncrieff
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society