These are probably the earliest photographs of Lewes Road in existence.
This photograph is of a few years earlier, probably 1865, and is a copy of the original by Edward Fox. The few houses seen were built in the 1850s.
Powers to construct the railway from Brighton Central to Kemp Town were obtained on May 13, 1864, and the first sod was turned by the Mayor, Alderman Martin, on February 17, 1866. The building seen on the extreme left (north of Melbourne Street) was removed so that the eastern pier of the central arch seen above could be built on the exact spot. Hence we can date this photograph. The branch line was opened on August 2, 1869, and four days later, on August 6, Alderman Martin laid the last brick in the eastern pier of the central arch.

Image Reference: JG_28_033.tif
Date: 1865
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 170x115
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society