BUILDING OF THE BRIGHTON-SHOREHAM RAILWAY
This of course is a photographic copy of a watercolour. Sadly photography came too late to record this historic scene.
It shows work in progress on the New England cutting and approaching the tunnel under the Prestonville and Dyke Roads. The year would be 1839. The windmill seen was Lashmar’s New Mill, which stood from 1780 until 1848 where Belmont is today. In 1848 it was removed to Clayton Hill, where it still stands, known as Jill, of Jack and Jill.
Image Reference: JG_31_014.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 205x152
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society