THE CHALK HILL
When the railway from Brighton to Shoreham was constructed in 1839, the line was driven through the solid chalk of the West Hill. The west wall of the original cutting remains to this day. To the north east remained a huge chalk hill, which took some years to remove.
In this photograph can be seen the goods trucks in which the chalk was removed. Nearly all this chalk went to build the embankments and foundations of the Shoreham – Itchingfield line and the chalk hill was finally cleared in 1861.
The building to the left of the tall chimney is the newly built Diocesan Training College in Ditchling Road.
This is yet another of the photographs for which we are indebted to the late Mr W J Bramwell.
Image Reference: JG_31_015.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 202x156
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society