This rare photograph shows the Church as it was immediately prior to restoration and alteration by Mr R C Carpenter. An outside flight of steps gave access to the galleries. The building in the rear of the two boys was a separate chantry, apart from the church, with a sundial over the two-light window above the doorway. The restoration was carried out as a memorial to the Duke of Wellington, and the Church was reopened to the public on 8 April 1854. The original of this photograph was by Mr George Ruff, 45 Queens Road, and is reproduced by kind permission of his grandson, Mr Aubrey M. Ruff, 101 Edburton Avenue, Brighton.

Image Reference: JG_31_091.tif
Date: 1853
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 157x113
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society