This picturesque little Inn in quiet North Gardens had a very long, if uneventful, history. It is not known exactly when it was built. North Gardens dates from between 1800 and 1820 and the Inn is mentioned in Baxter’s New Brighton Directory, published in 1822. For a few years in its early life it may have been purely a private dwelling, with later the inn built out over the long garden. Despite all the changes wrought to Brighton in 150 years, the Inn pursued its peaceful way, until at last the brewers decided to relinquish the licence. Date of photographs – 17 May 1970.

Image Reference: JG_31_136.tif
Date: 1970
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 152x113
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: The current owners inform us:
"A summary of the transactions is as follows:The Rose and Crown was erected on our land between 1820 & 1823 by J.P.C.Tiller as a victualling house. The land on which is was built was known as part of the Church furlong of North Laine. The deeds also make provision for the making of a road on part of this land.
In October 1823 Tiller and his wife Ann transferred the property to Henry Faithfull; in this transfer the street to the east of the property is first named as North Gardens. There is also mention of a tenement of the south side belonging to a William Morrell which must be Rose cottage.
In 1824 the land and house were sold to a George Wigley.
In 1833 the land was described as abutting the cottage or dwelling on the north known as Rose Hill (this or a new building on the site must have become the new Rose & Crown later.
1843 the property was sold by George Wigney to W Wigney and the Podmore family. In 1868 the house became known as 7 North Gardens and the licence was transferred to the building to the north which was then called the Rose & Crown.
Provisions in the sale bar the owners of No 7 from carrying on any form of pub or off licence trade. Len and Kath Ventham were the last landlords of the relocated Rose and Crown and when they retired they bought the property off the brewery and renamed it 7A. It still has Rose and Crown in the rendering at the back of the building.
We bought it about eight years ago and converted it. We were very keen to do this as when the licence was transferred, so was the piece of land that was the front garden of No 7. There is still a provision in the deeds of 7A that only Watneys beer can be sold from the premises."

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society