During the closing years of the last century several large houses were built along Preston Road, between Clermont Road and Withdean Farm. They stood in extensive grounds, with wide frontages and long back gardens reaching back almost to the railway line. Some have been demolished, but several still remain. Here are photographs of two such houses, since removed.
Beechwood, built in 1877 for R. Martin. It was later, for many years, the home of Mr. W.H.Vokins, founder of the North Street store. Photographed in the winter of 1956/7, it was demolished soon afterwards and replaced by the block of flats bearing the same name.
Image Reference: JG_34_001.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 158x104
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society