During the closing years of the last century several large houses were built along Preston Road, between Clermont Road and Withdean Farm. They stood in extensive grounds, with wide frontages and long back gardens reaching back almost to the railway line. Some have been demolished, but several still remain. Here are photographs of two such houses, since removed.
Leahurst, this was the adjoining the property (see previous) to the north. It was built for R.J.Billinton, Locomotive Superintendent of the L.B. & S.C. Railway, in 1880, and the extension to the south dated from 1900. A later occupant was Alderman C. Kingston, mayor of Brighton 1927-28.
Sold at Auction in October 1959 for £47,500, it was demolished in 1961 and flats known as Leahurst Court are now being built on this extensive site.
Image Reference: JG_34_002.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 158x104
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society