35 CARLTON TERRACE, PORTSLADE
This house, at one time the headquarters of Portslade Conservative Club, achieved notoriety as the “Abode of Love”. James William Wood, the self-styled “King Solomon” established his religious sect “The Army of the Lord” at the building in Edward Street, Brighton now occupied by the Salvation Army. In 1895, Wood and his followers moved to this house and services were conducted in the hall shown in the next photograph.
Image Reference: JG_38_011.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 155x110
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Carolyn and Richard Williams,Judy Pratt,Trevor Povey and Ian Farrell, members of the Portslade Local History Group
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society