This tramway which was opened in 1884 ran from Brunswick Road, Shoreham through Southwick to Portslade and thence via Boundary Road and New Church Road to the Hove – Aldrington boundary at Westbourne Villas. The cars were originally drawn by steam-engines, but by 1890 horses had been substituted. In 1897 the line was acquired by the British Electric Traction Company with a view to extending an electrified service through to Hove and Brighton but this project did not materialise. The double-decker trams ceased to run until 6 June 1913, when the line finally closed down. Single decker at Fishersgate, immediately to the west of the present recreation Ground. These single deckers normally ran only from the Westbourne Villas to Boundary Road. At “Tree Siding” where Barclays Bank is now, passengers changed to the double decker if they wished to travel on to Southwick and Shoreham.

Image Reference: JG_38_068.tif
Date: 1913
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 121x90
Place: Fishersgate
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Carolyn and Richard Williams,Judy Pratt,Trevor Povey and Ian Farrell, members of the Portslade Local History Group
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society