This tramway which was opened in 1884 ran from Brunswick Road, Shoreham through Southwick to Portslade and thence via Boundary Road and New Church Road to the Hove – Aldrington boundary at Westbourne Villas. The cars were originally drawn by steam-engines, but by 1890 horses had been substituted. In 1897 the line was acquired by the British Electric Traction Company with a view to extending an electrified service through to Hove and Brighton but this project did not materialise. The double-decker trams ceased to run until 6 June 1913, when the line finally closed down. The end of it all. The last single decker in Albion Street, Southwick, almost opposite the Tram Depot, to which it returned for the last time. 6 June 1913.

Image Reference: JG_38_069.tif
Date: 1913
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 123x82
Place: Southwick
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Carolyn and Richard Williams,Judy Pratt,Trevor Povey and Ian Farrell, members of the Portslade Local History Group
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society