BRIGHTON CHAIN PIER
The Pier, which was constructed under the supervision of Captain Samuel Brown during 1822 and 1823, was opened to the public on 25 November,1823.
It stood approximately opposite the steps leading down from Marine Parade by New Steine, and was approached by an esplanade, 1250 feet in length and 33 feet wide. The toll-gates giving access to this esplanade were a little to the North of the present Aquarium entrance. The length of the Pier was 1134 feet and it was 13 feet in width.
When the aquarium was built in 1871, the Chain Pier lost its esplanade and the toll-gates were removed to the entrance of the Pier itself. Competition of the Aquarium and the recently opened West Pier, affected the Pier Company financially, and successive gales and storms seriously damaged the structure. It was closed to the public on 9 October 1896 and destroyed during a storm on the night of 4 December that year.
The photograph above dates from 1852, but most of the others shown are of the period 1880/ 1896.
Image Reference: JG_05_001.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 218x133
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Robert Edwards
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society