CHAIN PIER ESPLANADE, WESTERN TOLL GATES
This photograph shows the entrance to the Chain Pier esplanade, which followed the curve of the cliff to the Pier about ¼ mile away.
The tollgates were erected in 1824 and stood until 1871 when the original Aquarium was built on the site of the Esplanade. Later they were re-erected at Furze Court, Dyke Road Avenue and remained there until quite recent times.
The photograph is a modern enlargement of an old one certainly dating from before 1871.
Image Reference: JG_05_002.tif
Date: Pre 1871
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 208x154
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Robert Edwards
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society