OLD WEST STREET
West Street is one of the historical streets of Brighton and dates, at least from the 16th century. Its name indicates the western boundary of the old town. About 150 years ago, when it was purely residential, it had some of the finest houses in Brighton of which only No.77 now remains. Its condition deteriorated with the years as private dwellings gave way to shops of a nature designed to attract the custom of the many trippers making their way from the Station to the sea front.
This photograph shows West Street in 1898.
No traffic problems in those days!
Image Reference: JG_7_059.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 150x108
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Brighton Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society