This is a copy of an ancient and faded photograph. It is almost certainly the oldest existing photograph of the Steine, (see previous photograph) and by the name POOLEY on the pediment of No. 16, it was probably taken in 1855. Certainly it must have been before 1859 when the captured Russian guns from Sebastopol were placed here. These can be seen in later photographs on succeeding pages. Note the high brick wall enclosing the Pavilion grounds, which bears no resemblance to the low wall of more recent times.
Image Reference: JG_09_117.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 208x132
Additional Information: Note the absence of elm trees.
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society