jg_12_118.jpg

BEACH COTTAGES, KINGSWAY

This aerial photograph was taken in the early 1920s, probably 1922. It provides an excellent view of the large area of undeveloped land, which then existed between Kingsway and Kings Esplanade. Observe the short, narrow lane a few yards to the right of Vallance Gardens. This led to the three Ivy Cottages (rooves visible) removed in 1926. These were contemporary with Ivy lodge and Vine Cottage, seen on other pages. Also seen are the Coastguard Cottages (far right, behind the St. Aubyns Mansions flats, which still exist though all cottages mentioned have been demolished).

Image Reference: JG_12_118.tif
Date: 1922
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 243x182
Place: Hove
Additional Information: ┬ęPhilippe Garner. Tennis Courts and vegetable gardens visible.

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society