The Portland Hotel, in 1911. Portland Road is comparatively modern, only the eastern portion dating from last century. In the 1880s that portion from Sackville Road to the Aldrington boundary was called Clarendon Villas Road and the few houses west of the boundary, Bertram Road. It was renamed after the Duke of Portland, who owned the land, in 1895, and the Portland Hotel was erected in 1896. This was rebuilt in its present form in 1928.

Image Reference: JG_16_022.tif
Date: 1911
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 204x153
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society