Between the years 1921 and 1924 Hove Corporation embarked upon its first estate of Council houses, with some opposition from middle class inhabitants of the growing new Church area. Houses were built along the Portland Road frontage west of the school, and then back to the railway cutting on land formerly used as market gardens. In all more than 200 houses were built, mostly in Ingram Crescent, named after the Ingram family, previous landowners. Away from Portland Road they were brick covered with white colour-wash, so the estate was soon known as “The White City”. Land was cheap then and plentiful so the houses had large gardens that were gratefully cultivated by the original tenants. By 1971 however, social conditions and habits had changed; elderly people occupied many houses and generally neglected the gardens. In view of the land shortage, Hove Council decided to replace these houses by small blocks of flats, a process which will take several years, as the work will be done in stages, rather like the Conway Street redevelopment. Work started at the eastern end of the Estate. These photographs of 8 & 9 July 1973, show empty houses in Portland Road and in the east wing of Ingram Crescent.

Image Reference: JG_16_035.tif
Date: 1973
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 154x98
Place: Hove
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Regency Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society